Beyond the Letters is intended for parents and educators who have a child or work with a child who has hyperlexia.
The suggestions in this book are geared towards small children, but may be relevant for older children and preteens as well. It does not cover teenage or adult topics such as puberty, relationships, or driving. This post contains affiliate links.
ABOUT Hyperlexia: BEYOND THE LETTERS
Sorted into four main categories, this book addresses common issues or challenges associated with raising a child with hyperlexia: (1) social skills, (2) speech, language, and reading, (3) practical life, and (4) other. The list of topics addressed in this book are ones that other parents of hyperlexic children helped me to compile.
Each topic in this book includes a short description of how these issues or challenges may present itself in a hyperlexic child. Then a list of strategies and accommodations are given to address that particular challenge or issue. These strategies are ones that we have personally tried or had success with or that other hyperlexia families have tried.
Parents of children with autism, without hyperlexia, may also find the strategies and accommodations in this book helpful. However, the focus is primarily on hyperlexic children and their unique skills and challenges.
HIGHLIGHTS OF BEYOND THE LETTERS (Hyperlexia)
- Practical strategies that can be implemented today to help your child build their language and social skills
- Tips and suggestions that have actually been successful with hyperlexic children
- Written by a mother of a child with hyperlexia, hypernumeracy, and autism
- Access to relevant resources such as apps and printables to address specific challenges
- Covers 30 different challenges and issues specific to hyperlexia as determined by real hyperlexia families (a HUGE thank you to my readers for submitting their ideas!), including:
- Expanding play beyond letters
- Awkward social skills
- Losing at a game
- Emotions and overreactions
- Impulse control
- Taking turns
- Poor or awkward conversation skills
- Pronoun reversals
- Language comprehension
- Expressive speech delays and echolalia
- WH- questions
- Literal thinking
- Interest in other languages
- Selective listening
- Finding appropriate materials for their emotional level
- Finding appropriate reading material
- Leaving the house
- Mealtime struggles
- Getting dressed
- Bath time
- Personal hygiene
- Personal safety
- Potty training
- Travelling and road trips
- Getting distracted by letters and numbers everywhere
- Sensory issues
- Obsession with iPads and technology
- Entering school
- Accommodations for the classroom
HOW TO PURCHASE YOUR COPY
Beyond the Letters is an eBook, or digital file, which means you are purchasing a PDF copy. That means you can read the book on any computer or mobile device and print off a copy. This book includes clickable links to relevant resources, free printables, app suggestions, and more. As a result, this book is best viewed on a computer or mobile device.
EU readers must purchase through this link.
*Please note that there are no returns or refunds due to the digital nature of these products.